Health Fitness Coaching: 5 Ideas to Turn Intentions into Lasting Habits.
Wanting to stay engaged and excited about your plan for a healthier and fitter body? As a certified health coach I can outlines some tools to support you.
It is common knowledge in the fitness industry that January is a big month for new and newly engaged exercisers to have a New Year’s resolution or intention to start/restart a fitness program, loose weight and a eat more healthy diet. It is also statically shown that after 2-3 months many people are no longer going to the gym they just joined and are no longer pursuing the health/fitness goals they set out to accomplish. That is because it takes at least 16 weeks for a behavior to become a habit and in my experience it is closer to five months.
Here are 5 ideas that can support you in your desire to stay the course for lasting habits.
1. Write down why you want to change your current health/fitness program. This is very important because before you will be able to commit to the “How” you need to be clear on the “Why”. A compelling “Why” will be your base camp when you are feeling discouraged around your “How”.
2. Make a list of all the things you really enjoy when it comes to health and fitness. This is key because incorporating new behavior into your life should be fun. When it comes to fitness it is this element that will keep you in the game when you run into obstacles. The list should be varied to allow you lots of choices. Again, this will help to keep things fresh and engaging.
3. Target a big dream to work towards. I have found that when people decide that they are taking on a new program to “loose weight” or to “look better”, it is not enough. What would be really motivating for you? Is it to run a half marathon, do an overnight backpacking trip, trek in Patagonia, do activities with your kids and keep up-say an hour bike ride on your favorite bike trail? Whatever it is write this down and refer to it often.
4. Make a plan. This is the part that addresses the “How”. How do you plan to accomplish your dream goal? What are the steps you will take? What activities will you do based on the list you created? How often will you do them?
5. Create a form of accountability. Do you have a fitness buddy, a coach or a group you can go to for support? Even something as simple as posting a calendar on your refrigerator with your daily plan written down and any changes to that plan can support you with this necessary component of accountability to yourself and your program.
Lastly, take small steps, focus on the journey as well as the outcome and enjoy yourself. Creating lasting lifestyle change is simple but not easy. Take one step at a time and you will find yourself at your destination.
My business www.health-fitness-coaching.com is designed to help you create lasting lifestyle change!
In Health, Wellness and Support
.Laurie Bagley MS in Outdoor Adventure Leadership is a mother, ACE certified health coach, entrepreneurial business owner and teacher. Her businesses, Health Pure Living and Strong Bodies Strong Individuals, focus on assisting people reach their health/wellness/fitness and financial goals. She is also the 6th woman to summit Mt. Everest from the North Col route.
If you like this blog, click the google plus link, in the right column of this blog, to receive more posts like this one.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!