Last week I addressed strategies for the most current recommendations https://www.health-fitness-coaching.com/2020/03/navigating-the-new-wellness-during-current-health-challenge/. This week the circle has tightened. This is creating new rules for Adapting to the Ever Changing Heath Challenge. What was OK, current and known has changed at least in my part of the world. I am focused on helping you stay sane, healthy and on track while the playing field takes on different rules.
Fitness Indoors. There are many people in parts of the world, states, cities or for health reasons that are in quarantine. The choices here are not the same as the areas that have issued Stay at Home orders. If you are in a situation where you are not allowed to leave your place of residence movement and you are not sick movement is essential and obviously more confined. Here are some ideas to support being unable to leave your home:
- If you have internet-YouTube has lots of options from easy to hard including lots of yoga choices as well(great for your mental health too!)
- Get specific about the time of day your going to move. A schedule will support you staying on track and sticking with your plan.
- If you don’t have access to internet you can create your own workout. This takes more creativity and I suggest making a routine that includes movement you are comfortable with, suits your body and in the perfect world that you enjoy.
Fitness Indoors and Outside. If you live in a place where you are not allowed out of your town getting fresh air is recommended 30-60 minutes daily. Exercise will help keep your immune system buoyed up which is also key right now. Here are some suggestions given the most recent restrictions in the state of Oregon and many other U.S. states if your not in quarantine:
- All the above for in home stays.
- Walking, running or cycling from your house if you can maintain social distancing. This could be unrealistic if you live in a city.
- Driving to a location where you can walk, run or cycle. This only works if you can park where you are not close to a group of people and the area you are accessing is open for use. These areas are getting harder to find but are still out there, at least this week.
Fear, Anxiety and Stress. Here are some suggest if you are experiencing stress, fear and/or anxiety. Anything you can do to relieve these emotions will go a long way. In addition this youtube video has some interesting information. Worth a listen and while you may not agree with the presenter (Chris Wark) the parts about vitamin D, fresh air and sunshine are spot on. https://www.facebook.com/chrisbeatcancer/videos/204368900889047/
- Meditation (even 5 minutes)
- Breathing exercises
- Music designed for the above
I am also noticing that as we all adapt to either being confined with others or being isolated from others there are different strategies to consider. Here are some areas to look at and address if needed:
- Time alone(do you need a schedule so you and/or others can have a private space for an hour or two a day)? Can you take a walk alone to get some space?
- Can you reach out to friends/family by phone/email or one of the many other free options to have some connection time with others? Setting an intention of one contact a day could be a start.
We are all is different situations facing different challenges. Adapting to the Ever Changing Health Challenge is not going away anytime soon. The common thread is that we are all in this together like it or not. While you may have heard some or all of what I have offered sometimes we just need that additional nudge to take action. Here for you as you navigate this time in your life.
Everything I am suggesting can be done with social distancing, alone and/or in your home. It is my goal to support you fully during this time of change and uncertainty while helping you support a healthy body, mind and spirit.
In support of you being able to live a life that feels free, powerful and awake.
Laurie Bagley: MS in Outdoor Adventure Leadership, mother, Author, ACE certified health coach and group fitness coach, entrepreneurial business owner, Level 1 PN Nutrition coach and EnergyUp coach. Her Health Fitness Coaching Business focuses on assisting people reach healthy lifestyle goals. She is also the 6th woman to summit Mt. Everest from the North Col route and has written a book called “SUMMIT”. One woman’s Mt. Everest Climb Guides You to Success